Ms Ruth is an outstanding classroom practitioner and English Consultant with 17 years of experience in teaching and lecturing. She holds a BA with First Class Honours in Media and an MA in Film Theory, and lectured in Media and Film at UWL for three years prior to becoming an English teacher. She is also Lead English Tutor for the online tutoring platform, 'Raise My Grade'. She has taught in both Private and State schools and has privately tutored for many years. She has held leadership positions and is a trained exam marker for the Cambridge Board. A Shakespeare and Textual Analysis specialist, she is a passionate tutor with a firm grip on the English curriculum who has devised and written many Schemes of Work, and with her failsafe methodology engages students to ensure that they not only raise their grades, but grow to love the study of Literature and deepen their understanding of the English language.
• British Citizen
• Place of Birth: London, England
• Holds current DBS certificate (to be updated)
2007-2008 Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). Kingston University / West London Partnership, UK.
2003-2004 Master of Arts (with merit) in Film and the Moving Image. Faculty of The Arts. University of West London.
2000-2003 Bachelor of Arts (with 1st Class honours) in Media Arts with Sound & Music Recording. London College of Music and Media. Thames Valley University. London.
1999-2000 Certificate of Access to Creative, Cultural and Media Studies. Thames Valley University, London.
Previously: 3 A Levels (English, Sociology and Art).
English Consultant and Lead Tutor for English at Raise My Grade.co.uk (2020 to present)
Professional Actress (Self Employed) Actress/Writer/Dramaturge (2016 to present)
• Studied Method Acting at Identity School of Drama 2015-2016
Tutor/Governess (2014 to present)
• Director at First Floor Private Tuition in Brentford Square, Middx.
• Successful private tuition delivered to several students (KS2-5) with results to match.
• Currently enrolled with the London Governess Agency, Kensington, London.
Proofreading / Copyeditor (Self Employed) (2014 to Present)
• Copy Editing, Proofreading for various editorials and Dissertation advice and proofreading services delivered to Undergraduates.
Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) Summer 2015 iGCSE English Literature Exam Marker
• Marking components to 0486/22,32, 2010/22 English Literature Drama (trained in Scoris) examinations, for the May/June 2015 session.
Torchlight Tuition, Barnes (2014-2016)
• Providing private English tuition to students approaching the 7, 8 and 11+ exams, KS3, GCSE/iGCSE, A Level and Undergraduate students.
Supply Teacher: Protocol / Tradewind and Sanza Education Teaching Agencies (Mar 2014 to Oct 2016).
• Successful supply teacher to various West London schools, receiving complimentary testimonials.
Chiswick School, London. UK State School Academy. (2008 to Feb 2014)
English Teacher (with Media) and EPQ Coordinator
• At KS3 delivered the curriculum to reflect the varied learning styles and multiculturalism of the school, fully preparing all cohorts to achieve at or high above their expectations.
• At KS4 delivered AQA and Cambridge iGCSE English Language, Literature and Media.
* Personally wrote and delivered the Cambridge iGCSE Coursework route Sept-Nov 2013, where a cohort of 19 Set 6/8 foundation students achieved A*/A/B coursework grades for their completed portfolios - weighted at 60%. They achieved 100% A-C overall grades in their January 2014 results.
• At KS5 taught the AQA B specification to years 12 and 13.
• As a post-holder, coordinated the AQA Extended Project Qualification at levels 2 and 3, having undergone Coordinator and Standardization training in London and York. Also held the acting Assistant Head of English for one academic year.
Cranford Community School, Middlesex. UK (2007 to 2008)
Trainee teacher via the Graduate Teacher Programme (GTP).
• Taught and observed all key stages with a direct and immediate responsibility for a year 7 and a year 10 cohort with successful results.
• Worked regularly with target and withdrawal groups for both G&T and SEN/EAL students.
• Devised and oversaw a mentoring scheme, which partnered year 7/8 students with sixth formers.
• Successfully tutored a year 7 cohort.
• Was observed by Ofsted as a trainee and awarded ‘Outstanding’.
• Gained QTS
University Of West London, Ealing. UK (2004 to 2006)
Lecturer in Media and Film Theory, and Access to Media Coordinator
Prior to her career as an English teacher: Part-time lecturer in Media and Film Theory for the Faculty of the Arts at the University of West London.
• Co-wrote, led and delivered lectures, tutorials and seminars to undergraduates on various modules on the Media Arts programme. Marked and assessed assignments.
• Devised and delivered master class in ‘Orientalism in Film’ to postgraduates.
• Lead and ran the 5-week Summer School in 2005, which included exam moderation.
• Took part in the Widening Participation initiative, which offered seminars and workshops to GCSE and A Level students providing them with a taster of University life.
• Participated in the 2006 Revalidation of the undergraduate programme, writing two brand new modules.
Justifiably, parents are feeling concerned about the large gaps in their child's education as a result of the Covid19 pandemic. Ms Ruth is here to help, offering one-on-one, personalised tutoring sessions and truly comprehensive online courses in English Literature and Language that will equip your child with the skills and techniques that ensure progression. You will watch your child thrive as they regain their passion for learning.
She offers one-on-one sessions in all aspects of English Literature GCSE/iGCSE and Baccalaureate, starting with ensuring that students posess a firm understanding of how to plan and execute an essay and an exam response to a higher level, improving their understanding of the text and the writer's craft, which covers all aspects of the assessment objectives.
She offers one-on-one sessions in all aspects of English Language GCSE/iGCSE and Baccalaureate, ensuring that students understand the rudiments of grammar and focusing on the key skills needed to pass each specific exam question to a higher standard. Students will also enhance their skills in writing with flair and imagination for each specific non-fiction/fiction text type.
She offers one-on-one to A Level students in all aspects of English Literature, ensuring that students understand all aspects of narrative and all aspects of their course requirements. Personalised sessions will target specific texts across the academic year with the aim of enhancing critical and evaluative exam responses to a higher level.
Start their journey now by booking a trial, 45-minute diagnostic session today.